Anessa Kimball (prof/they/she) is an associate faculty member in the Department of Political Science at Laval University. Kimball is the Director of the Centre for International Security (CSI) at the École supérieure des études internationales (ETI), co-director of the Canadian Defence and Security Network (CDSN), and a member of the Defence & Security Foresight Group, North American team. Professor Kimball received their PhD in Political Science from the State University of New York-Binghamton, USA. Their research interests include the interdependence of domestic and foreign policy, defense and security, U.S. foreign policy and elections, international cooperation, and the economics of defense and military procurement. Kimball directs two separate research projects on burden sharing in NATO and the institutional conceptualization of informal defense and security arrangements.
- US Foreign Policy
- Defence Economics
- International Cooperation
- Anessa L. Kimball, « L’OTAN peut-elle encore avoir un rôle multilatéral? », pp. 343-356 dans Enjeux globaux, pandémie et Élections américaines : Quel multilatéralisme ? Regards croisés : Union européenne – Canada – Etats-Unis – Chine, sous la direction d’O. Delas, O. Bichsel et B. Jouzier, Éditions Bruylant-Larcier, (Collection : Mondialisation et droit international) (2021). ISBN: 9782802769781.
- Anessa L. Kimball, “North American defense & security challenges: Securing the arctic and sharing defense burdens,” Proceedings of the Hemispheric Situation Conference, Class #60 of the Inter-American Defense College, Fort McNair: Washington, D.C, 2021.
- Anessa L. Kimball, “Managing risks, side payments, and multi-institutional enlargement: The role of US defence and Big Four investment agreements and candidate risks on NATO, EU enlargement,” European Politics and Society, 2020.
- Anessa L. Kimball, “Knocking NATO: Strategic and institutional challenges risk the future of Europe’s seven-decade long cold peace,” University of Calgary’s School of Public Policy Research Papers 12:36 (2019): 1-25.
- Anessa L Kimball, “Future uncertainty, strategic defense, and North American defense cooperation: Rational institutionalist arguments pragmatically suggest NORAD’s adaptation over replacement,” in North American strategic defense in the 21st Century (Springer-Verlag, 2018).
- Anessa L. Kimball, “Understanding the Legalization of Canadian-US Defence and Security Arrangements, 1955-2005,” International Journal 72:3 (2017): 380-400.
- Anessa L. Kimball, “Deliberative institutional design & US defense and security agreements: Comparing Canadian agreements to those with partners and competitors,” Journal of Transatlantic Studies, 20(2): 2022.