Jean-Christophe Boucher is an Assistant Professor at the School of Public Policy and Department of Political Science at the University of Calgary. Dr. Boucher is a co-lead of the Canadian Network on Information and Security, funded by the Department of National Defence. He is also a director of research in civil-military relations at the Canadian Defence and Security Network funded by the Social Science and Humanities Research Council. His COVID research is funded by Alberta Innovates. Dr. Boucher is a fellow at the Canadian Global Affairs Institute; a research Fellow at the Centre for the Study of Security and Development at Dalhousie University; Senior Fellow at the Centre interuniversitaire de recherche sur les relations internationales du Canada et du Québec. He holds a BA in History from the University of Ottawa, a MA in Philosophy from the Université de Montréal and a PhD in Political Science from Université Laval. He specializes in international relations, with an emphasis on Canadian foreign and defence policies, international security, and methodology. He is the author, with Kim Richard Nossal, of The Politics of War. Canada’s Mission in Afghanistan, 2001-14 (UBC Press, 2017) and of many peer reviewed chapters. He has published in academic journals Journal of Politics, International Journal, Études Internationales, American Review of Canadian Studies.
- International Relations
- Canadien Foreign and Defence Policies
- International Security
- Jean-Christophe Boucher & Kim Richard Nossal, The Politics of War. Canada’s Mission in Afghanistan, 2001-14 (Vancouver : UBC Press, 2017)
- Jean-Christophe Boucher, “Yearning for a Progressive Research Program in Canadian Foreign Policy,” International Journal 69:2 (2014): 28-42.
- Jean-Christophe Boucher, “The Politics of Sovereignty in Canada,” In Defending Canadian sovereignty. New Threats, New Challenges (Government of Canada, 2019).
- Jean-Christophe Boucher & Justin Massie, “Militaristes et anti-militaristes: les Québécois face à sécurité internationale,” Études Internationales 44:3 (2013): 15-48.
- Stéphane Roussel, Jean-Christophe Boucher & Justin Massie, “Hijacking a Policy? Assessing Quebec’s “Undue” Influence on Canada’s Afghan Policy,” American Review of Canadian Studies 40:2 (2010): 259-275.