Maria Aftimos joined the DESS in International Studies at the University of Montreal after completing her master’s degree in International Relations, Security and Defence. Her research focuses on the new “Great Game” in the Middle East since 2011 from the perspective of the Land-Sea duality. She seeks to analyze the dynamics behind international and regional power rivalries in the Middle East. Maria Aftimos is also interested in the discovery of offshore oil fields in the Eastern Mediterranean and its implications both regionally and internationally.
- Geopolitics of the Middle East
- Energy Issues
- Theories of Classical Geopolitics
- Maria Aftimos, « Rethinking Brzezinski in the light of the Arab-Israeli normalization deal», Beirut Today, February 2021.
- Maria Aftimos, « Offshore balancing, an alternative strategy for the Middle East», Revue de Défense Nationale (Beyrouth, Liban), October 2020, numéro 116, p.5-25.
- Maria Aftimos, « Les découvertes de gisements pétroliers offshore en Méditerranée Orientale (MEDOR) : un nouvel Eldorado », Revue de Défense Nationale (Beyrouth, Liban), April 2020, numéro 112, p.29-50.