Michael Kofman serves as Director of the Russia Studies Program at the Center for Naval Analyses and a Fellow at the Kennan Institute, Woodrow Wilson International Center in Washington, D.C. His research focuses on the Russia and the former Soviet Union, specializing in the Russian armed forces, military thought, capabilities, and strategy. Previously, he served at National Defense University as a research fellow, and subject matter expert, advising senior military and government officials on issues in Russia and Eurasia. Mr. Kofman is also a Contributing Editor at War on the Rocks, where he regularly authors articles on strategy, the Russian military, Russian decision-making, and related foreign policy issues. He has published numerous articles on the Russian armed forces, Russian strategy, and runs a personal blog on the Russian military.
- Russian Military
- Russian Strategy
- Military Capabilities
- Michael Kofman, “The Emperor’s League: Understanding Sino-Russian Defense Cooperation,” War on the Rocks, August 6 2020.
- Michael Kofman, “Syria and the Russian Armed Forces: An Evaluation of Moscow’s Military Strategy and Operational Performance,” In Robert E. Hamilton, Chris Miller, Aaron Stein (eds) Russia’s War in Syria (Foreign Policy Research Institute, 2020).
- Michael Kofman, “The Role of Nuclear Forces in Russian Maritime Strategy,” In Rory Medcalf, Katherine Mansted, Stephan Fruhling, James Goldrick (eds), The Future of the Undersea Deterrent: A Global Survey (Australian National University, 2020).
- Michael Kofman, “Russian Demographics and Power: Does the Kremlin Have a Long Game?,” War on the Rocks, February 4 2020.
- Michael Kofman, Anya Fink, Jeffrey Edmonds, et al. “Russian Strategy for Escalation Management: Evolution of Key Concepts,” CNA Research Memorandum, April 2020.