Chiara Ruffa is Academy fellow at the Department of Peace and Conflict Research at Uppsala University and associate professor in War Studies at the Swedish Defense University. Chiara’s research focuses on civil-military relations and state militaries in nonconventional operations (such as peacekeeping and search and rescue). Her work has been published in the European Journal of International Relations, Security Studies, Acta Sociologica, Armed Forces and Society, Security and Defence Analysis, Small Wars and Insurgencies, Comparative European Politics, and several edited volumes. Her first book Military Cultures in Peace and Stability Operations was published with the University of Pennsylvania Press in 2018. Her second book (with Vincenzo Bove and Andrea Ruggeri) is entitled Composing Peace. Mission Composition in UN Peacekeeping and was published with Oxford University Press (April 2020).
- Military Organizations
- Civil-Military Relations
- Vincenzo Bove, Chiara Ruffa & Andrea Ruggeri, Composing Peace: Mission Composition in UN Peacekeeping (Oxford University Press, 2020).
- Chiara Ruffa, Military Cultures in Peace and Stability Operations: Afghanistan and Lebanon (University of Pennsylvania Press, 2018).
- Vincenzo Bove, Mauricio Rivera & Chiara Ruffa, “Beyond coups: terrorism and military involvement in politics,” European Journal of International Relations 26:1 (2020): 263-288.
- Sofia K. Ledberg & Chiara Ruffa, “Military Families: Topography of a Field,” Handbook of Military Sciences (2020): 1-16.
- Sebastiaan Rietjens & Chiara Ruffa, “Understanding coherence in UN peacekeeping: A conceptual framework,” International Peacekeeping 26:4 (2019): 383-407.